Gourd Art Enthusiasts

Dedicated to Gourd Crafters, Artists and Gourd Art Fans

I haven't had this problem and it's puzzling me. I am doing fretwork and the bit keeps "grabbing". I have the three bits that Bonnie sells for fretwork. I haven't used 2 of them at all. One of them is my fav and I use it all the time. Since this is an important step, I decided to use a new bit. The first one really grabbed then the drill bit type bit did that same thing.   Seems I have to penetrate slowly, even then it can happen just not as much. My bits are new and I am going straight in ( perpendicular). This fretwork is going through a tiny bit thicker "meat"...... I normaly cut down down more to go through. Is it the slight thickness causing this? 

just FYI, I did remover outter skin and some gourd, sanded it smooth . Last night I had to stop. I was tired and didn't want to mess up the whole gourd box. Worked too hard on this one to mess it up.

Is it possible its just the gourd?hmmm, maybe I should see what good ole faithful ( my fav bit) reacts. This is strange.

Tags: bits, fret, work

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She sure does : )
Sandy, the last class I took with Bonnie, she showed us how she uses those particular bits. If you will start very slowly and allow the bit to just drill into the gourd, then once it breaks through, you can work the hole in any design you choose. Making the hole first keeps the bit from jumping around. Don't know if I explained that very well or not. Good luck.
oh sure you did, Connie. I've done several pieces with fretwork and just hadn't run into that particular problem before. Fretwork is one of my fav applications.
I've never had the priveledge of taking any classes though.
Prior to this gourd I only had a one speed dremel, but now have a 10speed.....and I can't believe how dumb I am. I have a foredom too, but need a better hand piece. I have had this foredom and foot pedal for many years ( I used to do other things too)....anyway, it didn't occur to me until recently that I could use the foot pedal with my 10 speed dremel.......Boy, do I feel dumb. I love using a foot pedal. My old sewing machine ( I made my children's clothes and did a lot of sewing), my little gourd saw and now my dremel all have foot pedals... :)
You aren't dumb, Sandy---it sounds like you are really into gourding. Congratulations on figuring out the foot pedal with the dremel. Smart lady!

RSS

© 2014   Created by Bonnie Gibson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service